Use this forum to post pictures of your Quick Cut CNC and the setup you are using!
By dalecraven
I picked up my Quick Cut CNC kit at the local Fed Ex office after putting a hold on the delivery (I knew I would not be there to sign for it). The packaging of the kit was superb. I think you guys may have found the worlds strongest packing tape! I took the machine home and checked out all of the parts. Looks like everything is there and the quality of everything looks to be very good.

In my typical "Why leave well enough alone?" attitude I have decided to stretch the machine out from 18" to 24" during my build. For now I will leave the 12" dimension alone because of the work that would be required to re-create the machine ends. It looks like I will need 6" longer shafts, threaded tie rods, and leadscrew. I am going to replace the ABS pipe with 6" longer aluminum pipe and also add the aluminum t-slot extrusions for table support. I will have to have a new table cut that is six inches longer and I am going to add some pockets to install 2 or 3 Rockler T-Slot tracks for hold-downs.

Tonight I am going to start coating all of the MDF components with an Amber tint shellac. I'll put on enough coats to seal up the machined edges and lightly sand until I get rid of the fuzzy edges. The parts should look pretty good when I'm done.

Keep checking back and I will start getting some pictures up as I progress.
By Tommy LeRoy
I did the Shellac as well, It should keep moisture out pretty well, I only did two coats but that should be sufficient for my purposes. be careful near any of the shaft pockets as It will make them tighter. I had to carefully sand the pockets out until the rods fit right.

What profile is the extruded aluminum for the slots, is it a standard 80/20?

TL
By AJ Quick
I don't think 80/20 carries exactly the right size. Its standard, not metric. Any 2"x1" extrusion should work. We will have some extrusion available next week or two for purchase, tapped with the correct hardware for installation.
By dalecraven
I fininshed coating all of the parts with several coats of tinted shellac and I have most of the components for stretching the machine from 18" to 24". I still need to pick up some all-thread tie rods and cut the new table top from a piece of 3/4" MDF that I have. I will probably start assembling the machine after I model a couple more pieces. I want to re-create the model in Solidworks. I setup a Flickr site and will share the photos there.

Finished components: http://flic.kr/p/aA1uqN

Some of the new stretch parts: http://flic.kr/p/aA1uL9
By AJ Quick
The parts look GREAT!

In the future, we hope to be able to paint or shellac the parts prior to them shipping. We just haven't had the space or setup to make that possible yet.
By dalecraven
I got the machine most of the way put together today. If it weren't for a slight anal-cranial inversion on my part I would have all three axis in motion. I cut my new longer leadscrew the exact same length as the original!!.. Oh well. I ordered another piece and I will try hard not to screw that one up too. Here are a couple more pictures. I like the aluminum tubing and table supports.

http://flic.kr/p/aAqZYt

http://flic.kr/p/aAqZwX
By AJ Quick
The machine looks great!

If you do end up making the machine wider, you can also reuse that leadscrew that you had cut the wrong length. It should be right for that.
By GVardaman
Fantastic!
The parts look great too. I will have to look for some shellac at my local hardware store tomorrow.
Anything in particular I should look out for?
I don't think I have ever coated MDF with anything but paint.

I also love the extension project. I would really like this to be a larger cutting area and I would also like to get the T-track or aluminum base plate. And the anti-backlash nuts.

Hmm. Maybe I should spend the next couple of days configuring the PC while I keep reading here.
Thanks for the posts and info everyone!
By dalecraven
I will send some more pictures up tonight but here is what I have done so far. I got aluminum shedule 40 pipe and 1x2 aluminum exrusions to lenghten the machine. I will have a 12"x24" cut area (I am now wondering about 12"x48". Probably need to go to 1/2" leadscrew). I cut a new mdf table and added a couple t-slot tracks. I am waiting on a new leadscrew for the 24" direction. I ordered anti backlash nuts for the x and y screws.

Steve, Thanks for letting us know. I believe the[…]

What are your DIP switches set to? They can cause […]

CNC electronic questions?

AJ, Thanks a lot for your help,

Testing the 3 Axis Controller

I had replied to your email, but I'll post this he[…]