Use this forum to post pictures of your Quick Cut CNC and the setup you are using!
By Tommy LeRoy
I decided to try build a enclosure for my machine as to keep the dust down. We just replaced the front French doors on my house and I was just about to put the old doors on Craigslist for whatever I could get for them, then it dawned on me I could cut 'em up and use them for the enclosure. My wife pointed out it looks a little like Dr Who's Tardis so now I want to paint it blue.

I'm using an old Touch screen Point of Sale terminal from Radiant, that I pieced together from my business' bar, both of the terminals had different problems so I cobbled together an "Ok" machine from them both. I still have an issue where I have to hold the power button and slowly insert the power supply connector in to make it boot up. but I digress. It has the bare minimum speed and memory to run the software and It has a parallel port, so I used it.

I Shellacked the pieces to seal them from moisture and assembled the machine in a day or two.

I added limit switches to the setup, following the setup guide for Mach3 I decided I would setup limits that could be used for basic home switches as well. It took a little futzing to get it all setup right, but now with the Limits there I feel safer letting the machine run a program for hours without having to watch it like a hawk. I still need to add a block to trip the upper Z-Axis switch, but they all function well.

I found the Home Depot has a Dryer vent hose attachment that will work well with my 4" hose to my Harbor Freight Dust Collector.

I just need to dado out a space for my T track and a bit and I should be in business.

Tommy
By Crix
This came out amazing! Not only does that look super sturdy, but you get a LOT of viewability through the glass.

Well done! :D
By dalecraven
That is awesome! I was thinking about building an enclosure for my machine too, but now I won't be able to put any pictures of it up here on the forum.... Unless... You think I can get an old phone booth on Craigslist??
By GVardaman
I love it! I have a hutch that was once a bedroom wardrobe, then a TV cabinet. I haven't yet built a door to completely enclose the machine, still setting it up and putting in lighting and such.
I like the TARDIS look to it.
I wonder, are people going to share files here as well? I am very new to CNC and would like to have a couple of files to test out the setup. I thought perhaps AJ might release the file of their logo that they were going to use for the $5 rewards (or whatever it was.)
By Tommy LeRoy
I have been asked about the limit switches and how they are set up, I will try and explain it all here.

This is the very basic diagram that I based my wiring on for the limit switches
Actually just the right side I put the switches in a series circuit and wired the switches to the N.C. terminals on the switches, so that when either switch was operated it would break the connection and trip the limit input. I feel that wiring things this way is safer so in an event where the wiring fails the machine will not operate until I find the problem. If it were normally open I would not know until the machine crashes into a non operational switch and may do damage.

So knowing the Controller board only has four inputs and that I would probably not be adding a digitizing probe any time soon, I figured I could use one input for each axis and one input for the emergency stop button.
The inputs are labeled on the circuit board, but were out of focus here.

I made up another connector like the ones for the 3 Axis found here
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... PerPage=60
With pin one going to the common and the other three to the first three inputs. I ran the loop to the other connector and plugged it all in and mounted all the switches.

I'm not sure which ones if any of these were the ones I had ordered, but the ones with arms are easiest to adjust.
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... ion/1.html

In Mach3 you need to setup the inputs as limit switches I believe they were 10 - 13 I can check these tomorrow. then in the homing setup set the parameters. I set it to make my z-axis at -2 so when I zero out the machine it'll arise my spindle safely above the table surface. The manual says long arm snap switches aren't accurate enough for home switches, but I don't plan to rely on them for machining just for ease of setting up my workspace.

When setting up my Emergency Stop I did the wiring in parallel and used a normally closed circuit so I can add extra switches whenever I please. So far I have two, one on my tabletop and one near the machine inside the door. I added banana plugs on the controller to make the E-stops east to add
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... PerPage=60

hopefully this can help some of you.
By Tommy LeRoy
So the limit switches, were giving me a little trouble, First they just stopped working on each circuit. that was crimping issues, got that fixed, but then anytime the bit would chatter at all and shake the tool, the switch would trip. I tore out the ole ones and used a new set (of old switches) that were a little stiffer. things have been going good.

Now the newest project. Spindle control.

from the PDF manual there is a setup for Mach3 for the spindle control it is wrong. and from what is in the kickstarterCNC setup is also not right for spindle control. I always noticed a click when I would start things up but never gave it a thought. I looked into it and realized there is a relay rated for 12 amps at 120v I'm gonna wire it up and see if I can get it to work. I have the motor control setup to work with the M3 and M5 commands. I have hooked it up with a battery and light and it turns the relay on and off with gcode. I'll post later how it turns out and what the settings need to be for anyone who might want this on their setup.

Tommy

Steve, Thanks for letting us know. I believe the[…]

What are your DIP switches set to? They can cause […]

CNC electronic questions?

AJ, Thanks a lot for your help,

Testing the 3 Axis Controller

I had replied to your email, but I'll post this he[…]