Our CNC Building Blocks are one of the easiest ways to assemble a CNC machine. Follow this forum for information and sharing plans, blue prints and other ways to make your machines using these parts.
Many of our CNC Building Blocks backers have asked us for inspiration on what kind of CNC machine to build with the building blocks. We'll be posting prospective designs here, and ask that if you have any.. please feel free to add them to this thread.

Here is one. This is literally one of the simplest CNC machines you can make. It requires no special support structure for the table, and has very simple arms. This uses all the parts included in the CNC Building Blocks, plus 1 ACME nut block.

The total cutting area is approximately 16" x 16" square.. but could be scaled up larger or smaller. This version has a tall Z-axis clearance, perfect for making guitar bodies, or for adding a vice.

The material on this one is aluminum:

It also does not have to be made out of aluminum. Here is the same thing from MDF wood:

(The lead screws, motors, and hardware has been omitted for time's sake.)

Total cost for the MDF version would probably run you: CNC Building Blocks (approx $170), plus $20 for MDF, $100 for shafts, $50 for leadscrews.. and an additional $50 for various hardware. Add Nema23 motors, and controller.
That is actually a good point. No you would not be able to piggyback or split power between two steppers. You could share the signal though.

If you want to use 2 motors for an axis, you need a 4 axis board.

Which is why we felt the need to design this new 4 axis PCB.

:wink:

We won't actually be producing this board unless there is demand for it. An alternative would be to design a single axis board that could be utilized with a few jumper wires.
Mike,

Such a design could be done using most of the parts from the Kickstarter package. You would need an additional leadscrew nut holder (and the nut) which would retail for about $20.

We are also working to develop the 4 axis cnc board. We ordered a few PCBs to test with and should have those done in about 2 weeks.
Another alternative would be to use belts to align the motion on both sides. It may be more complex, but it's certainly a lot cheaper than using two motors. I'm planning on using belts in the design I'm currently working on. (You probably have to seal the belts from the rest of the machine though, such that the dust from milling don't jam the belts)
Actually, if the motor is Attached to the Shaft instead of the Lead Screw, and the Shaft is mounted on bearings instead of the Shaft support, with belts on both sides of the shaft, you could get rid of the Lead Screws, the Acme nut brackets and use only one motor.

Steve, Thanks for letting us know. I believe the[…]

What are your DIP switches set to? They can cause […]

CNC electronic questions?

AJ, Thanks a lot for your help,

Testing the 3 Axis Controller

I had replied to your email, but I'll post this he[…]