Our CNC Building Blocks are one of the easiest ways to assemble a CNC machine. Follow this forum for information and sharing plans, blue prints and other ways to make your machines using these parts.
By frodeheg
Here is an initial scetch of my design:

Some details:
  • There is no floor because then I can mount the machine anywhere on any flat surface and not be limited by the machine build size
  • I am planning on using stainless steel or all aluminium for the frame
  • The entire frame is 1 x 1 meter
  • The shafts are 30" (76 cm)
  • The y-axis motor is mounted on one of the sides, I'm planning on using a wire to tranfer the motion to the other side
  • There are 2 Shafts on each side to increase travel in y-direction and to add support. (hmm... doesn't seem to be possible to order more of those shaft supports on the webstore, but I guess they will be available soon)
  • I didn't add everything to the 3d-model, so it only shows the priciples. I'll post updates later
Last edited by frodeheg on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By frodeheg
Sorry I posted the wrong link to the images, I updated the links above, hope it works better now.

Anyway, I have completed my design now, so here are some new images:

Changes:
* I moved the y-axis motor to the front to take advantage of the full build area
* I have added all parts that should be required to assemble it now
* I have added Delrin v wheels and wires to transfer the y-motion to the other side of the frame.

All parts are now ordered, looking forward to assemble it :-)

The model for my design was drawn in blender. Here is the source:
https://googledrive.com/host/0B9crFnE-i ... sign.blend
Last edited by frodeheg on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By frodeheg
I may have mentioned in some other post that I combined 3 kickstarter projects into one when building this machine, because I was originally intending to use OpenBeam and OpenRail with it, but I was worried OpenBeam wouldn't be strong enough for the size of the machine... so I changed to welded stainless steel instead. OpenRail as extra support doesn't seem to be needed since the 30" rods should be just within the limits of the CNC building Blocks kit... so I guess I just have to save those two kickstarter kits for something else then :-)
By AJ Quick
That looks awesome! What will you be building the frame out of? Extrusions?

Will you be using the building block sliders as well?
By bbnboye
Excellent design. I'll be following along closely, and I'll ask lots of questions, since this is my first CNC. I got the complete kit, and I think I did the same kickstarters as you -OPENBEAM, OPENRAIL, AND CNC BUILDING BLOCKS.

AJ, have you got a piece of the open-builds vslot aluminum extrusion? I'll get you a couple of pieces and wheels and plates in exchange for plans (and maybe a router mount....), or some other deal - I think it's perfect stuff for CNC, since it's big & beefy (20 x 60 or 20 x 80)
By frodeheg
The frame will be welded stainless steel as it was stronger. My original plan was extrusions though.

All parts from the building blocks kit will be used. However, since I need 4 more shaft supports than in thec original packet, and they wasn't available in the web shop at the time I ordered the shafts, I will print them on my 3d-printer instead.
By brogan.m
Great design, would really like to build something like this with my building blocks. Will be following allong also
By frodeheg
This is taking me far longer than I anticipated, so here is a small update and lessons learned.
* Stainless steel is extremely expensive.
* Stainless steel is extremely hard, I broke some blades on my saw before I found out stainless need special blades
* Tig welding gives the nicest welds and have no toxic fumes.
* Having someone weld for you is expensive, so I decided to learn it myself. And this is the funny part. Store 1 had a tig welder but were not selling the necessary accessories. Store 2 had the necessary accessories but it didn't fit with the Store 1 machine; on top of that Store 2 didn't have a machine the accessories they sold fitted to!??!! All other stores was damn expensive, but I found a new store that have all I need but I don't get it before a few weeks.
* The router I bought from my local dealer had a production fault, still waiting for replacement parts.

So, slowly moving forward, but I'm still on the track ;-)
By frodeheg
After a while with slow progress I finally have had the time to do some building. The frame is now complete:

(sorry for the lost images on my older posts, I'll update the location)
By frodeheg
I have now mounted the linear shafts, I was very careful with the alignment so it slides perfectly :-)

(new lesson learned: Drilling holes with a battery powered 1200 rpm drill in 4 mm thick stainless steel was insanely hard, needed to recharge every second hole :P )

There might not be much progress for the next two weeks since I don't have much spare time before quite a while. Next I'm planning to mount the electronics with the wires going inside the frame as far as possible so it will be kept out of the way.

Steve, Thanks for letting us know. I believe the[…]

What are your DIP switches set to? They can cause […]

CNC electronic questions?

AJ, Thanks a lot for your help,

Testing the 3 Axis Controller

I had replied to your email, but I'll post this he[…]