Keep up to date with the latest changes here at A Quick CNC. This is also where we will post new developments and new machines!
By AJ Quick
Back in Update #2 we talked about changes to the Z-Axis from our initial design. From our original design we evolved to an I-Beam construction made out of MDF. We were concerned with the structural integrity from the MDF and started looking into alternative constructions. Our initial thought was to use HDPE or engineers plastic to make the components, but that would have added $50+ to the cost of the machine. After some research we found a low cost plastic that is mixed with aluminum for added strength... and set out to make a mold.

The mold which was created can be seen in the first picture below. It is aluminum and steel and has 11 parts which need to be removed in order to get the part out. It took roughly 30 hours to create this mold, but it is virtually indestructible and will last hundreds (if not thousands) of castings. The oillite bushings are integrated into the casting, which lock them into place.

The aluminum filled plastic was mixed and poured into the mold. After a few hours the mold was disassembled and an absolutely perfect Z-Axis was removed. Needless to say, we will be using this technique from now on... and all machines will receive this amazing plastic cast Z-axis.

Ignore the green color, all machines will have a grey / black Z-axis.

Steve, Thanks for letting us know. I believe the[…]

What are your DIP switches set to? They can cause […]

CNC electronic questions?

AJ, Thanks a lot for your help,

Testing the 3 Axis Controller

I had replied to your email, but I'll post this he[…]