Keep up to date with the latest changes here at A Quick CNC. This is also where we will post new developments and new machines!
By AJ Quick
This week has had lots of long nights of working on parts. We had neglected one of the custom plastic components that should have been done at the same time as the rest of the plastic z-axis parts. Taking what we had learned from that process we set out to make a mold out of an inexpensive and easy machining wax. This isn't your normal candle wax; it is specifically designed for CNC applications for making master parts and patterns. We bought a section of it and designed a mold that was capable of making 8 plastic parts at once. It took roughly 8 hours to CNC the mold due to its fairly complex shape and a high degree of accuracy.

Once the mold was completed we began making these new plastic components. Using a much quicker setting plastic we had parts coming out of the mold roughly every 30 minutes. After that the back surface was milled flat. Holes were drilled and tapped and our lead screw nuts were installed.

After about 8 hours of work we had completed all of the parts we needed! Roughly 1 part was made every 10 minutes. Hopefully in the future we can use this technique to make the plastic z-axis components much quicker.

Other progress is being made. The project boxes for the electronics have arrived. We may have one setback related to those, but we are waiting to hear back from the manufacturer on Monday. We will keep you posted of any potential delays.

Steve, Thanks for letting us know. I believe the[…]

What are your DIP switches set to? They can cause […]

CNC electronic questions?

AJ, Thanks a lot for your help,

Testing the 3 Axis Controller

I had replied to your email, but I'll post this he[…]