Our machine as seen on Kickstarter! This is our 12"x18" machine with linear shafts and bushings. It is our basic starter model with many options and upgrades available!
By kmatariyeh
Hey everyone,

I still havent assembled my CNC machine yet from the first kickstarter since I've been busy in grad school and I still want to put a few coats of poly on the mdf parts first. I also funded the second kickstarter for the ABS parts so I'm going to wait till I get those.

Anyway, I am modifiying my cutting bed to accept some kreg t-tracks when I finally start assembly and I saw these: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... te=ROCKLER. Rockler has a bed of these on their expensive CNC system and I'm thinking of adapting it to this CNC, the only thing I need to find out is if they will fasten to the aluminum bed rails and figure out a easy way to fasten them side by side since the largest part is 3" wide.

Also, I am curious if anyone has tried a smooth stepper with the CNC yet, I saw that a new ethernet version came out and I am thinking of getting it since none of my computers have space for a parallel port.
By kmatariyeh
That Microrax stuff looks interesting, I might get that to build an enclosure for my CNC when the time comes, it looks easy to bolt together.

I'll probably try that rockler stuff when the orginal cutting surface gets completely destroyed. Another thing I was thinking of doing was seeing if I could modify the two ends for the X axis and put down the same rails that the bed support rails use I could probably get away with using a vice to hold the work piece for milling.
By kmatariyeh
I got a couple of the multi-tracks from Rockler last week and have been seeing how well they hook up with the CNC. I need to get four more of them to equal the entire 18" width of the cutting table.

I also went to the local hardware store yesterday and bought some aluminium angle and flat bar to link all the tracks to each other to make the bed, some of the aluminium angle will be used to afix the cutting table to the support rails option that I bought from AJ last year.

These multi-tracks are expensive its a shame Rockler isnt cheaper but I didn't want to give up a quarter inch of cutting depth just to use 80/20, the price would have most likely been about the same regardless.

These tracks should work out just fine. Also since they are 36" long the cutting area doesnt need to be replaced if a user wants to expand the machine.

I'll post some pictures when I start assembling the table. Kinda wish I had a drill press right now for all the drilling I need to do. :?
By AJ Quick
You got the wide ones with the 3 tracks in them?

Let me know how that works out! Rockler uses the same tracks on their Shark CNC system.. which is $3000+!
By anosh
These multi-tracks are expensive its a shame Rockler isnt cheaper but I didn't want to give up a quarter inch of cutting depth just to use 80/20, the price would have most likely been about the same regardless.

Steve, Thanks for letting us know. I believe the[…]

What are your DIP switches set to? They can cause […]

CNC electronic questions?

AJ, Thanks a lot for your help,

Testing the 3 Axis Controller

I had replied to your email, but I'll post this he[…]