Our machine as seen on Kickstarter! This is our 12"x18" machine with linear shafts and bushings. It is our basic starter model with many options and upgrades available!
By Jambv
Gents,
It's taken a long time but I'm finally up & running. I've been having trouble getting quality output using vbits. I've downloaded Vectric's Vcarve Pro which includes a sample file "Bullshead". I've probably cut this file at least 12 times & this is the best example. Can anyone shed any light on what the problem may be?

Settings are 1/2 step microstepping. Mach 3 motor settings are X & Y = 2000 SPI, 65 vel & 15 Accel. Z = 4800 SPI, 48 vel & 10 accel. Motion mode is set to exact stop. The bit I'm using is a 90 degree 1/4" Vbit. The gcode was produced from the sample file with no modifications at all. Cutting was performed at FRO 40%. Today I took the top off & tightened all nuts & reseated every leadscrew collar with no appreciable difference. I've also played with different microstepping configurations.
By Jambv
AJ Quick wrote:How deep are you cutting?
Hi AJ,
The sample file includes a maximum pass depth of 0.25 inches. The "B" in the example is 0.25" & the rest is about half that.
By AJ Quick
I would say that depth of cut is far too high. There is a very great surface area on a cutter of this shape. It looks like you are getting a lot of chatter, which could potentially be:

Cutting too deep.
Cutting too fast.
Not high enough RPM.

I would try to edit the z height if you can. Maybe try setting the Z-axis scale in Mach3 to 50%, running the file once. Then setting it to 100% and running it again.

That should change the depth of cut to half what it is on the first run, and then the full depth of cut on the 2nd run. You could also set the Z zero to 0.125" above the work surface running it, and then setting Z zero to the work surface.

Steve, Thanks for letting us know. I believe the[…]

What are your DIP switches set to? They can cause […]

CNC electronic questions?

AJ, Thanks a lot for your help,

Testing the 3 Axis Controller

I had replied to your email, but I'll post this he[…]