The electronics that take the impulses from the computer and make the motors turn.
By jashanjeet
I finished assembling it a few hours ago and started testing it with mach3. I was trying to get the stepper motor wires correct (they're same colored and unmarked) so left the z axis running for like 20 minutes while trying out different wire combinations. Now the Z wont run although the X and Y do. Im running half ampere motors (0.04 on tp3). What could be the problem and how do I get it working again. Ill be grateful for your help.
By AJ Quick
Did you try a different wire configuration and it burned the controller chip out? If you connect the motor incorrectly, it certainly can short out. Also.. if you unplug the motor while the capacitors are still charged (or while power is applied), you can easily short out the chip.

Can you tell me exactly what you were doing when it blew up, or how it was plugged in while it blew up?
By jashanjeet
I was trying a different config while the 12v supply was connected. I don't think I shorted it by connecting the motor incorrectly. It was most probably the second scenario you described.

The motor was working in 1/4 step mode but not in single step mode which prompted me to check the motor connections and then I reversed the a+ and a- while it was still plugged in :(
By crob09
What kind of driver is it?

The TB6560 needs forced air or it will over heat.

I also don't think you damaged the driver, did you smell or see any smoke?
Most breakout boards will fault to ground when the IC is damaged too, so you would know.
You probably just have the driver hooked up wrong, or your pins and ports are configured incorrectly. do you have the pinout?

Cheers,

Rob
By jashanjeet
AJ Quick wrote:That would do it.

Do you think you can get the old motor control chip off?

Cut the leads off, desolder it and get a new chip on?
Yea thats the plan, I ordered a new chip through your ebay account. Will try to replace when I get it.
crob09 wrote:What kind of driver is it?

The TB6560 needs forced air or it will over heat.

I also don't think you damaged the driver, did you smell or see any smoke?
Most breakout boards will fault to ground when the IC is damaged too, so you would know.
You probably just have the driver hooked up wrong, or your pins and ports are configured incorrectly. do you have the pinout?

Cheers,

Rob
Its SLA7078. i dont know much about these chips but there was absolutely no response even with another motor with the correct config.

Steve, Thanks for letting us know. I believe the[…]

What are your DIP switches set to? They can cause […]

CNC electronic questions?

AJ, Thanks a lot for your help,

Testing the 3 Axis Controller

I had replied to your email, but I'll post this he[…]